While setting myself up in France I’ve had to deal with many things, one of which I am still getting to grips with: acronyms.

Not only have I had to inform INSEE, CIPAV and URSSAF of my business practice, but also RSI and CAF for insurance and family allowance. I’ve now have SIRET, SIREN, TVA and APE numbers for when I fill out any form about … anything, and if I want to set up a direct debit – I have to use an RIB.

The reality is though – that for most of these – if you don’t know what they stand for it won’t affect your ability to slot into French society, as most French people have no idea what they stand for either.